This was originally a thread at .

If you're trying to move abroad, and don't have a pile of cash or an engineering or medical degree, it can be tough. Here's a few options I found when I was researching.

Working Holidays

A working holiday visa lets you live and work in a country, usually for a year, without needing a normal work permit. It's almost always not something you can turn in to long term residency, but it means you've got a year to get to know people and wow somebody who can sponsor you.


If you're 18-30 you can live and work in Australia and this one can be extended! A lot of people in Ireland seem to use this to kick off a longer stay.


If you're in college or graduated in the last year, you can live and work in Ireland for a year -

New Zealand

If you're 18-30 you can live in New Zealand for a year. You'll need to have $4200 NZD (about $2800 USD)

South Korea

This one's stricter - you can be 18-30 and is tied to school but you need to have $10,000, which is more than the other WH programs

(Singapore has a WH program but it's really restrictive, only for ages 18-25, and only for 6 months.


Going to uni abroad is a pretty standard way to live in a new country. Usually, you get a year or two after graduation to try to get a job and stay. But if you want to do it dirt cheap, Germany is well worth a look!

Self Employed

Can you employ yourself? Most entrepreneur visas are trying to pull in tech bros building startups, but the Netherlands has the Dutch American Friendship Treaty with the US. If you can employ yourself (not work for another company) and have €4,500, take a look. I've chatted with Shawn at and he's always been responsive! .


Most people know that an Italian granny or Irish great-granny can help you get a passport, but if your ancestors were persecuted (like Sephardic Jews in Spain, or people fleeing the Nazis in Germany), you may be able to access citizenship in those countries.

For example, Ireland has a handy tool to check if you're entitled to citizenship at

Pretty simple citizenship-eligiblity flowchart


Like polar bears and snow? Svalbard is the northernmost settlement in the world and has no immigration controls. The capital (Longyearbyen) has 2400 people from 50 different countries.

French Foreign Legion

If you're 18-39 and willing to fight for France, you can apply to join the French Foreign Legion. You can apply to become French after 3 years in the service.